Thursday, March 11, 2010

Just what the doctor ordered.

So I went to Beauty and the Beast tonight with Lindsey and Josh! It was so much fun! I miss the stage so much! I haven't done a play since Pirates of Penzance 3-ish years ago. I am also completely jealous that I'm not in town when they do The Music Man this summer. I've ALWAYS wanted to be in The Music Man. It's my absolute favorite musical EVER! I love it so much. And I wont even be around to see it. How sad.
Anyway Beauty and the Beast was completely magical. I loved it so much! Cogsworth and Lumier were perfect! Completely animated and wonderful. Mrs. Potts and Chip were adorable. Melanie Cook played Mrs. Potts and she did a lovely job at it. The part fits her personality so well. Belle was Tess Greg. She gets very into her parts. I've seen her in 2 other playes and has done well in all of them.
Gaston was amazing. He played his part wonderfully and had an amazing voice. Apparantly he was also Jeckel/Hyde in Jeckel and Hyde in October. Lindsey said he was amazing at it. I bet he would be. I loved him a lot. Lafou was Daniel Gardener.. I think that was his name. Anyway he has played all of the "bumbling fool" characters in everything he's been in. I've seen him in quite a few plays. He plays parts like that so well. It just fits. Ya just gotta love 'im.
The solos were great! Everyone sang beautifully. It's when the cast sang together when I cringed just a bit. Human Again was a little shaky at parts. Be our guest was okay.. It really was nothing too special, which was a let down. The coreography wasn't too bad, but it was blocked by the kids sitting on the edge of the stage with big fuit hats. But other than that, I could feel that they were comfortable singing it, like it was well rehearsed.
The finale was incredible! They were very dramatic scenes and they did wonderfully. Me, I have a problem with serious scenes. I start giggling a bit. They held their characters very well. The fireworks and the lighting were very effective. They made the audience jump, in a good way. Everyone changing back into their human selves was a very effective scene. When Chip changed back and ran to hug Mrs. Potts again, was incredible how they played that up. The audience even started applauding.
This play was so good. I really wish Target would have let me be in this play. They just wouldn't work with my schedule. Which is okay. Work is good too. I'm just glad I got to see the show. I've been wanting to go to another concert or something lately so this was just what the doctor ordered! Anyway, sorry to sound like Amanda the critic in this post, but I just wanted to talk about it.

1 comment:

  1. I just have to say, I miss you! Hope things are going well. We should all get together sometime and have some good clean FUN! I sure miss it.

    ReplyDelete