Monday, October 25, 2010

Individualistics

I've met a few people in my life that have a philosophy that I just don't understand. Maybe you can shed some light on it? These people, I like to call, individualistics. Kinda like individuals and lunatics combined. ;) These people are ones that go against the norm ust for the sake of going against it.
One example that might help explain these types of people:
Say a girl reads Twilight because she just saw it on a shelf. She really starts to enjoy it, but then after a while she notices that everyone else absolutely adores the book. Since this girl in our scenario longs to be an individual, she no longer likes the book... just because others do.
These people I've noticed, they try so hard to be someone different than everyone else. They try and say, "well, I don't really care what other people think." But if that were true, why do you base your opinion on the opinions of others? Isn't that what you are trying to avoid doing?
Wouldn't the people who truely don't care what others think might be okay with overlapping with the popular opinion?

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. I think sometimes people confuse being an individual with being different. They feel they aren't an individual unless they are unlike anyone else. I think that you have it spot on here - an individual likes what they like because they like it and not because the crowd at large does (or doesn't).

    I also think that those few people who truly are individuals are the ones who don't make a big scene out of being individuals. They just are. :)

    ReplyDelete